Are you or a loved one seeking counseling for what you are going through mentally or emotionally? Various types of therapy are available to provide you with the support you need. One of these is biofeedback therapy.
What is Biofeedback?
This is a technique where you can learn to control a number of your body’s functions. These can include your heart rate. This kind of therapy uses electrical sensors to receive information about the body.
The Different Methods
Keep in mind that a provider of mental health service in West Orange, New Jersey will be the one to facilitate this kind of therapy, no matter the method. With that said, here are the methods they usually use:
- Breathing – The therapist will place bands around your chest and abdomen to monitor your breathing patterns.
- Brain waves – This makes use of scalp sensors to monitor brain waves via an EEG.
- Sweat gland activity – This involves attaching sensors around your wrist, palm, or fingers to measure the sweat glands’ activity.
- Heart rate – This uses sensors on the fingers or earlobes.
- Muscle contraction – This involves attaching sensors to your skeletal muscles to monitor electrical activity that causes them to contract.