People often put off getting counseling because of the stigma associated with it. Most people consider it a sign of weakness and would rather try to deal with the problem on their own. However, this usually makes the situation worse. When should you actually visit a mental health counselor?
- Thinking about or coping with the issue takes up at least an hour each day
- The issue causes embarrassment or makes you avoid others
- The issue has decreased your quality of life
- The issue has negatively affected your studies, work, or relationships
- You have made changes in your life or develop habits to cope with the issue
Seeking a behavioral health service in New Jersey can help you cope with the issue and reduce its effects. If you have already tried therapy before and it didn’t work it keep in mind that therapy sometimes doesn’t help right away.
Depending on the method, it can take time for your situation and symptoms to improve. Sometimes a method or a particular therapist just doesn’t suit you. Seeking a different therapist or treatment method may help.
Are you looking for mental health service in West Orange, New Jersey? Come and visit us at Shirley Court Gonzalez LCSW BCD. Our staff is committed to listening to your call for help and making a positive difference in your life.